NADDIE'S NONSENSE OF THE DAY

- when you have everything to give up, you have the rest of the world for your taking ~

22 April 2009

Apple Crumble

I seriously don't like to cook because cooking to me is messy, sweaty and complicated. And i dont even eat that much anyway. These days, the main reason I do cook is because I can experiment with my food (macam main masak2 la kan, masa kecik2 kan ske main masak2 sbb main itu bess and the real thing is not so). I like baking though (note that i like baking, not love baking or passionate or mad about baking) as most of the time I can get it right just by following the recipe. So after work on Monday, I made apple crumble!!

As it is with me and cooking, I've combined three different recipes for this apple crumble experiment. Two recipes are from the same cooking book and one is from the net. The note in orange is the pointers I've got from my first time baking apple crumble and if you want to try this, I would suggest for you to follow the note. Keep in mind that these notes are my preference, so if you are a good cook, you can pretty much estimate for yourself. If you dont mind, then my preference can be your preference too!!

Ohh, and i like cinnamon!!!

The recipe;

For the filling
  • 6 cooking apples *note: Ibu said that this is too much apple, so next time use 5. There are varieties of cooking apples, but I used granny smith
  • 187.5 g soft light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon *note: This is not enough for me. I call for more cinnamon!!

For the crumble topping

  • 62.5 g soft light brown sugar
  • 100 g self raising flour
  • 100 g plain wholemeal flour *note: Cant find this so i used plain flour instead. I read somewhere that the difference between these two is that the wholemeal version is more nutrious while the plain white has been ripped of any nutritional value
  • 150 g unsalted butter *note: Can be reduced and switched to margerine instead so x rase lemak sangat

Methodology (macam chem lab la plak)

  • Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees celcius
  • Peel, core and cut the apples into chunks (i cut the apple into 6 and then cut each 1/6 section of the apple into 3. The apples turned out perfect this way.)
  • Put the apple chunks into a baking dish and add sugar and cinnamon. Mix them up!! *note: if you use a big baking dish, then your crumble layer will be thinner (like mine) so use a good size baking dish. agak2 la, as long as the apple mixture is not so thick.
  • Sift self raising flour into a big bowl and add in the plain flour.
  • Add butter and then rub in with fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. (rub in is a technique where you take the mixture using your fingers and rub in your thumb over them. Jangan uli plak)
  • Add sugar add rub in some more.
  • Spread the crumble over the apple mixture.
  • Bake for about 40-45 mins or until crumble is golden brown.
  • Eat while it's hot with vanilla ice cream

Next time, I'll bake this in a small cup / very small baking dish for ease of eating. The pictures are in husband's hp so I'll post 'em later.

p/s: Husband and I went jogging at the KLCC park yesterday. Husband, out of his health consciousness and me, out of fear of fatness. This reminds me that I need a new pair of running shoes.

7 comments:

  1. Nak Gamba!! Nak Gamba!! ( merengek2).. Faiz kasi itu gamba Apple Crumble~!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kak long, u should learn how to bake blueberry muffin and raspberry marble cheesecake from me ;) ohh,ohh..maybe blaja masak simple dulu..like tomyam, kari, sambal ikan bilis,etc..well maybe mee soup ke since faiz prefer something tasteless ;P..

    krina

    ReplyDelete
  3. krina,
    i bake what i like to eat. sekian tq.

    and true, rugi je masak susah2 mende2 complicated like segala bagai sambal (yg makan masa nak tumis) and kari tu sme, when husband ske makan soup, masam manis (especially yg sos je semata, die sgt happy org buat hari tu padahal mmg tumis bwg sket + cili sos + tomato sos + udang je, nx time kna pakai cili boh sbb rase sos semata2) and grilled stuff (tenyeh je berbagai rempah ratus and grill, ibu nye resipe = kicap + garlic + garam). and die sgt ske broccoli and cauliflower yg steam. oohh.. my husband the simple eater. seb baik sbb i cant really cook. haha~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eit ... krina .. bile mau balik ... me the first want to eat your blueberry muffin ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. butter is way better than margarine....
    check out how much more unhealthy margarine is compared to butter
    nad~ next time cook for the PIPErs..? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sanj, tp butter make the crumble rase like berlemak. i dont loike...

    cook for PIPErs?? aku nye housewarming la, early 2011, insyaAllah. you guys hv to bring gifts for my housewarming tau, like washing machine. big ticket items je tau, pinggan mangkuk tak main. :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. kah2.. tak sangka ko mata duetan ... simpan dompet faiz!!

    ReplyDelete

This is how i think but you might think otherwise, so let's share that thought!!
Thanks for sharing :)