NADDIE'S NONSENSE OF THE DAY

- when you have everything to give up, you have the rest of the world for your taking ~

21 November 2008

The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards


The last book that I've read was The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. I hate secrets and this book is all about keeping a big secret.


This is a very good book. Not a very fast paced but it glued you to its pages until the end because you just dont know what's going to happen next.

It's about Dr David Henry and his decision to separate his own twins (a boy & a girl) at birth because the baby girl has down sindrome. He did this with no one's knowledge except his nurse, to whom he gave the baby girl to send to an orphanage. However, the nurse later decided to keep the baby girl. And the rest of the book develop on the effects of Dr Henry's decision to himself & his family (his wife & his son) and also on the lives of the nurse and Dr Henry's separated daughter.

It can be easily understood why Dr Henry did what he did. His little sister was also sick and died. He was saving his wife from the pain of seeing their sick daughter. Plus, this story was set in the 60's, which i believe people have issues of acceptance imperfection.

All in all, this book shows that how one's decision can affect many people and how sharing your problems with other people will not only help you but other people too.

p/s: This book has also been turned into a made for TV movie.


4 comments:

  1. ann..kak nisa' baru tgk cite ni smalam kat tv..sedeyy btol ler cite dia..sob2..sob

    ReplyDelete
  2. waa~ nak tgk jugak!!! want to see whether the movie is as good as the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought we would read the same book..(duh its sound stupid but whatever) I saw the movie and Its not up to my expectation ...I honestly dont like when a book made out to be a movie bcos its not the same (well cept for Lord Of The Ring trilogy..I'm a sucker for that..harry porter...bah...but I have to admit I do watched it and cant wait for the new movie to be out. Also Twilight.. Awesomeness..I bought the book like 2 years ago when I was in KL and still havent finish reading it..lol)Back to the book..Its a good book and it took me a very long time to finish it..bcos I dont have time to read but honestly I'm just too lazy. Overall, This book is not my type of book but its ok. (I like to read books from mitch albom, For One More Day-its my fav, I actually cried reading this book..totally awesome book. If you havent read it yet, try to find it and read..you'll enjoy it ^.^) Anyways thats just my 2 kupanQ comment. I dont think they will air this movie in malaysia but you can always download it. If you want a link I can give it to you...you know where to find me...huhuhu XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,
    I know where to find you and will find you. I want the link!! Seriously want to see the movie.

    p/s: love love love Lords of the Ring, both the books and movies. Cant say the same for Harry Potter though.

    ReplyDelete

This is how i think but you might think otherwise, so let's share that thought!!
Thanks for sharing :)