NADDIE'S NONSENSE OF THE DAY

- when you have everything to give up, you have the rest of the world for your taking ~

13 February 2009

The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory


I put reading Angels & Demons on hold when I bought this book. I want to read this novel first. The first impression I get when I read the synopsis at the back cover of this book was that this is going to be a fast paced novel, old fashioned english (because the novel is set in the 16th century), and chick literature (even though it is 1500-ish chick lit). It has the elements that I love. Especially the old-fashioned part, I dont know why but I like the big skirts that the ladies wore way back when.

Well, as usual, I dont like to give synopsis, I'd rather give my views on this novel instead. For the review, please visit the author's website or as I always put it, just google it!

The Other Boleyn Girl is like a dramatized history based on the lives of 16th century aristocrats at the English Court as seen by Mary Boleyn. As these people actually exists way back when, some critics said that some of the things that happened or mentioned in the novel are not historically correct. But who cares! I like the novel :)

The chick lit part of this novel is the fact that Mary and her sister Anne are rival in an old fashioned way. By old fashioned i mean "I hate you, but I'm gonna act as if i love you so much and i am so gonna get back at you, when you and other people dont realize it. Or if they do, they gonna see it as if I am doing a good thing for you when actually I'm gonna get my revenge." Haha~ Throughout the novel, this pattern is apparent. Everybody is doing everything to move themselves or their family closer to the throne without appearing to be doing so, with always a sweet smile and sweet words to hide the mean things that they actually do to get their desires.

The other thing that is very prominent in this novel is that the King Henry desperately wanted a son and is willing to go to extreme ends in order to get one (that and a new wife)! This is really frustating when a daughter can be just as good (or sometimes even better).

In a way, this novel ader la buat aku sket rase geram because it seems that during the 16th century, women importance and sole purpose in this life is to conceive a baby, carry it full term and make sure a son comes out after 9 months. What the *#^@ !!!!

Well anyway, there is a movie produced based on this novel (starring Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman), and my next move is to check this movie out. It has been out since Feb 08 but I am yet to see it. I'd like to see if the history is twisted more in the movie. Hihi~

I started reading The Other Boleyn Girl on 28 January 2009
I finished reading The Other Boleyn Girl on 12 February 2009

p/s: nak sambung balik Angels & Demons before the movie is out in May 09 (kalau x salah).

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is how i think but you might think otherwise, so let's share that thought!!
Thanks for sharing :)